What is a monitrice?
The word "monitrice" is French for one who monitors coaches and instructs. A monitrice provides physical, emotional and informational support to the expectant family during labor, delivery and postpartum. A monitrice differs from a doula in that she also provides limited clinical expertise. If choosing to stay home longer before moving to your place of birth, hiring a monitrice can provide additional peace of mind. As a monitrice we have no desire to replace the support of your family and we happily assist them as well.
As a monitrice we help you to monitor your progress during labor and share information so that you can make the best decisions for you during your labor and birth. We are not a medical care providers and we assume no responsibility for your personal choices in labor and birth.
Who benefits from having a monitrice?
Monitrice services are particularly useful for families having a VBAC, those wanting an un-medicated birth, first time mothers, and those with previous negative birth experience(s).
If you hope to be able to stay at home as long as possible before going to the hospital or birth center, monitrice support can be invaluable.
In addition to what is listed under our doula services; as a monitrice we also provide:
* Care at your home prior to leaving for the place of birth
* Monitoring fetal heart tones
* Blood pressure checks
* Cervical exams
Limitations of our work as a monitrice:
* As a monitrice, We do perform very limited clinical tasks; blood pressure checks, monitor your pulse, fetal heart tones, and cervical exams.
* We do not perform these tasks at the hospital, birthing center, or when your midwife has come to your home unless the caregiver consents.
* We do not deliver babies; we only provide emotional, physical, and informational support as well as the services listed above for you during labor.
* We do not make decisions for you. We will help you get the information necessary to make an informed decision. We will support your decisions and help to clarify your options.
* We can in no way guarantee the outcome of your birth or variations in birth that may occur. We are not responsible for these, but will do our best to help you understand these variations.
Cost: Sliding scale from $1,000 - $1500